Saturday 19 April 2008

Day 6: Life is a Temporary Assignment


Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.
Psalm 39: 4

I am here on earth just a little while
Psalm 119:19

Life on earth is a temporary assignment.
To make the best of your life, you must never forget two truths: First, compared with eternity, life is extremely brief. Second, earth is only a temporary residence. You won’t be here long, so don’t get too attached. Ask God to help you see life on earth as he sees it. David prayed, “Lord, help me to realize how brief my time on earth will be. Help me to know that I am here for but a moment more”. Repeatedly the Bible compares life on earth to temporarily living in a foreign country. This is not permanent home or final residence. You are just passing through, just visiting earth.

Your identity is in eternity, and your homeland is in heaven.
There was an old story of a retiring missionary coming home to America on the same boat as the president of the United States. Cheering crowds, a military band, a red carpet, banners, and the media welcomed the president home, but the missionary slipped off the ship unnoticed. Feeling self-pity and resentment, he began complaining God. Then God gently reminded him, “But my child, you’re not home yet”.

The fact is that earth is not our ultimate home explain why, as followers of Jesus, we experience difficulty, sorrow, and rejection in this world. Remember that life is a test, a trust, and a temporary assignment. We are preparing for something even better. It also explains why some of God’s promises seem unfulfilled, some prayers seem unanswered, and some circumstances seem unfair. This is not the end of the story.

We are not completely happy here because we’re not supposed to be! Earth is not our final home; we are created for something better. When life gets tough, when you’re overwhelmed with doubt or when you wonder if living for Jesus Christ is worth the effort, remember that you are not home yet. A death you won’t leave home-you’ll go home.

Day 6
Thinking about my purpose
Pont to ponder: This world is not my home
Verse to remember: “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal” 2 Corinthians 4: 18
Question to consider: How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?

Note: read more reflection Day 1-5, as posted earlier.

No comments: