Hasn't Yet Tried New Laptop
INTROD, Italy, JULY 20, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI trusts the doctors who operated on his wrist Friday after a fall Thursday evening at his vacation chalet in northern Italy caused a fracture.
Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican press office, affirmed this today as he discounted doubts raised by doctors interviewed by journalists in some reports.
"A decision was made about the operation and its conditions after careful consideration by competent people, taking into account -- as is to be expected -- direct knowledge of the patient and his concrete circumstances," Father Lombardi affirmed to Vatican Radio.
He explained that any concerns suggested by doctors acting as press experts "are theoretical, in the sense that they cannot take into account the determinant factors of knowing the patient, his situation and the circumstances in which he finds himself, which are decisive elements in the case of an operation like this one."
"I believe," Father Lombardi added, "that there can be complete confidence that the most reasonable and the best solution was selected, according to the concrete situation, and there is no reason to promote worry."
The spokesman, who is with the Holy Father in Les Combes, told journalists that the Pope is doing well and spent today in the chalet.
He also reported that so far, the Pontiff has not used the computer given him Sunday by an Italian technology firm.
"He is not used to writing with a keyboard -- he's not so technological," Father Lombardi observed. "Particularly for the work of composing, he prefers a pen."
Father Lombardi confirmed that the Holy Father will participate Friday in vespers in the cathedral in Aosta. "Some 400 people are expected to participate," the spokesman said, referring to the priests of the diocese and representatives of various parishes, among others. "It will be a very beautiful moment of prayer.
"Later, on Sunday, he has the Angelus programmed, which will be here, close to the Pope's residence."